Thursday, September 20, 2007

Resources for Healthy Food

Here are some other books I have found helpful in my quest to give my family REAL food:

Nourishing Traditions
How to Pick a Peach
Slow Food Nation
Eat Fat Lose Fat
-Three diet plans: weightloss, health recovery, and everyday gourmet
-makes Nourishing Traditions seem less intimidating
Real Food
-I have already recommended this one- I LOVE it!

Unless I am baking, I rarely follow a recipe. Nevertheless, I love cookbooks and here are some of my favorites:

Can I Freeze It? (beautiful pictures and helpful information- I just found this one)
The Farmers Market Cookbook
The Unplugged Kitchen
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Complete Outdoor Living Cookbook (Williams-Sonoma Outdoors Collection)
The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World
The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen

Books I'd Like to Read:
Plenty: One Man, One Woman, and a Raucous Year of Eating Locally
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements
The Real Food Revival

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

Hi Hilaire! I don´t know if you remember me...Genevieve Pudewa, from Steubenville. I found my way to your blog by means of D. Jonathan Romanoski and your husband´s blog. It´s beautiful to hear about Catholic families out there striving to live a life that is full and healthy in every way, doing their part toward rebuilding Catholic culture in our world today. I loved you book lists (some of which are personal favorites - Nourishing Traditions is amazing!!) I´m down in Argentina right now, and though it´s changing, the culture here is still so much more rich and Catholic and family oriented and hospitable and REAL. I´ve learned a lot from the wonderful people here about what it looks like to actually live a culture like this (having less money to toss around seems to help a lot!) Down here I´ve also discovered/fallen in love with the traditional Latin Mass...there´s a beautiful community of huge Catholic familys at a Latin Mass chapel down here...very inspiring! Anyways, I just thought I would say hello to you and Francisco and your girls. May God bless you all as you seek to serve Him with your whole lives!

Genevieve

p.s. you can check out my blog of my experiences down here if you´d like...www.thewingsofthedawn.blogspot.com