Sunday, April 1, 2007

Preparing For Easter

My husbands grandmother always taught him that during Holy Week (Palm Sunday until Easter Sunday) there should be no t.v., movies, or radio. This was so that it would be easier to concentrate on the deep signifigance of Holy Week, so that it would be able to penetrate during those uncomfortable static free moments.

We have adopted this custom, which I think used to be common among Catholic families. It is amazing how distracting these forms of entertainment can be. I suppose we should probably add in the internet because it can be equally distracting, but for now we are just trying to use it for more reflective purposes (so blogging about Holy Week is ok). We make one exception for the movie rule by watching The Passion. I highly recommend the movie as a Good Friday meditation.

I must admit it is hard at first, especially when on vacation like we are. But I have been reminded that I do have plenty of time for prayer. The time the girls are not watching cartoons I am now trying to spend making an extra effort to help them understand what Jesus did for us and how every mass is a little Holy Week (which is why on Sundays we have a break from there usual lenten sacrifice of no treats).

No comments: