Tuesday, May 22, 2007

How We Get Through all Five Mysteries

How do I get my girls to sit through the rosary every night? Hah! I don't.
Every day we take a walk to say the rosary with the girls. We have had beautiful weather and the walks have been especially enjoyable. This is the fountain we pass by. If they pay attention and pray well, then by the time we get to the fountain they can splash in the water.
This is so much easier than saying the rosary inside. The baby is happy with things to look at, and the girls get out their extra energy while praying. I know children should learn to sit quietly and sometimes you just have to battle through so they learn, but we get that opportunity every Sunday at mass. Plus, by walking, it ensures every one stays awake (including me), avoiding prayers like, "Hail Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death amen." Yeah, you know what I am talking about.

My oldest daughter can say all of the prayers of the rosary now except the Creed. Once she gets the Apostle's Creed memorized and can tell me what all fifteen mysteries are, she gets her very own rosary in a little pouch. And of course it will have to be sparkly. As for miss Two, she gets a few words here and there, but her real accomplishment is walking quietly and letting everyone else pray.

3 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I think that's a great way to teach them to work and pray - that you don't have to be bent over a pew in a silent church to converse with God.

Mama Says

Sanctus Belle said...

Oh! You really changed the look of your blog - its beautiful!

With my kids, we prayed a decade at at time for many years. As they got older, we moved it praying on our knees in our home's oratory. That took many years of working up to. I love your practice of praying the rosary outside during a walk.

Also, I'm tagging you for a meme - blame Ray at Stella Borealis!

God Bless!

M. Alexander said...

What a good idea!