Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Canning and Preserving: A Beginners Giftaway!

I was traveling through a series of lovely blogs when I came upon a great one called The Simple Woman's Cannery and Garden. I am planning on canning a lot this summer and I am excited to find it. She happens to be doing a very thoughtful Giftaway for those beginner canners or maybe those who just need some new stuff. To be entered you must visit this link and comment on her post. In addition you must add a link to her blog from your own. Make sure to take time to visit her other blog The Simple Woman.

In my canning/preserving plans this year so far:

-Blueberry Jam (from our backyard blueberry bushes)
-Blackberry Jam (blackberries free from a friends farm)
-Tomatoes in various forms (from my garden and friends gardens)
-Pickles (I am growning lots of cucumbers in hanging baskets this year)
-Saurkraut (even if I have to buy some to add to my few homegrown cabbages, homemade saurkraut contains the beneficial lacto-fermenting bacteria that are killed in pasturized store versions)
-Green Beans (pickled and plain)
-Corn (if I get some free or for very cheap)
-Applesauce (A friend with an orchard and the cheap boxes at the local market work great)
-Pears (Another friend with too many)

I really want to try some more traditional methods of preserving such as other lacto-fermented foods, drying, and storing (roots, squash, and potatoes) because I know some of the nutrients are lost when things are canned. However, I think that canning is still worth it for my family, especially when the produce I am able to get is free or at least cheap and I can control what goes in to the cans. There is no doubt the end product is far better than a can from the store shelf. Besides they look so beautiful on a shelf. What a display of God's providence!!!

No comments: