Sunday, February 18, 2007

The day sparkled

Jam lucis orto sidere,
Deum precemur supplices,
Ut in diurnis actibus Nos servet a nocentibus
...Ut cum dies abscesserit, Noctemque sors reduxerit, Mundi per abstinentiam, Ipsi canamus gloriam.


Now that the star of light has risen, Let us to God most humbly pray, To save us from all hurtful things In all our actions of the day ... That, when the day has sped away,And He again the night shall bring, We may, through holy abstinence, With purity His glory sing.
(From a Brev. Hymn- St. Ambrose)

It is so wonderful to start the day with morning prayer. When I consecrate my day to God I see things differently. Suddenly life at home takes on a glow, almost a sparkle. That is not to say that every day I pray I am full of energy and the house is sunny, but in my mind everything that I do shimmers with a purpose...glorifying God. Like a silver lining.


As a mother I think I have a pretty clear idea of what I can do to grow in sanctity. Every day I am faced with opportunities to do works of mercy and even heroic acts of charity. My three little sweeties make sure I have a constant supply of sacrifices. At least I hope that all those dirty diapers and late night feedings have taken a little bit of purgatory time off. If I start my day off right at the beginning with the intention of doing all the mundane things I must get done for the glory of God then I am conscious that each of these tasks is a gift...A GIFT! Suddenly I lose my excuse to grumble and I am inspired to do my best.

1 comment:

Don Paco said...

Deo Patri sit glória,
Ejúsque soli Fílio,
Cum Spíritu Paráclito,
Nunc, et per omne sæculum. Amen.

I love you, my darling, and I thank you turning our home into a prayer.
-Francisco.