Friday, February 16, 2007

Why "Through the Valley"?


Marys Peak sunset
Originally uploaded by Tideswimmer.
I have titled my blog "Through the Valley" because it was the most appropriate metaphor I could think of for life. This blog is my place to reflect, contemplate, and discuss the many aspects of life as a Catholic, a wife, a mother, and an artist.

The journey we take in life has long been likened to a walk through a valley: The valley of the shadow of death (Psalms 22:4), the valley of tears , etc. It is a valley of tears. But we encounter here both bitterness and sweetness, cold and warmth, shadow and light. We can move through it afraid and unsure, oppressed by the shadows of the mountains around us and overwhelmed by the path before us. Or we can walk confidently through with the hope of a glorious view from above. The latter is what we are called to do by Christ. And with confidence in the aid of Our Lady, Mother of Mercy, I hope to navigate this valley appreciating all its bittersweet beauty with my sights set ultimately on the peaks above.

As an Oregonian I have always had a fond love for the Willamette Valley. The beauty there is something that I carry in my heart always, no matter how far away I am. When I think of the "valley of life," Oregon's lush, complex ,and exceedingly beautiful valleys instantly remind me that life is full and good.

I am sure this blog will gradually take a more directed focus. For now I will begin adding my favorite links. I plan to post about how I have chosen to live and ways that I have found to make my home and my family a reflection of goodness and beauty. Topics will range from home management to art; from homeschooling to living green. If you have read this far, I hope the next time you visit, you will find yourself encouraged and inspired to enjoy The Valley.

No comments: